How it Works
Physicians Memorial Auditorium will be the location of the morning's session pitches.
If you're interested in giving a talk, you'll line up and make a 30-second pitch to the group. After all the pitches are given, attendees will vote on sessions they wish to see. Voting is simple, you get one sticker for each time slot that's available during the day. You simply place a sticker on the session's information sheet as you're walking out of the auditorium. You can put all your stickers on one session if you really want it, but we would prefer it if you would spread them out so we get a better feel for which topics are the most interesting.
Voting on sessions.
After the voting, we'll schedule the day, and post the schedule for all to see. Then, you attend the sessions you wish to see.
The 2010 Session Board
One thing you can do to get feedback prior to the event is to post your idea on this website. The votes on the site don't count for the actual conference, but it helps you gauge the interest of your topic. And keep in mind the mantra of BarCamp is participation; so if you don't want to lecture us, please lead a discussion instead.
Here's a checklist for preparation:
- Pick a topic that you would like to share.
- Think about your target audience. Is it for beginners, uber-geeks, or everyone in between? It might be good to communicate this up-front.
- Gather up everything you will need for that day. Classrooms with Digital projectors are provided. Bring your presentation, slide deck, or props.
- Think through your 30-second pitch. Would it be better to lead with a question? Cut to the chase. Speak up and an-nun-see-ate. You're on american idol. Make it your own!
- Find your room, setup, and launch into it.
For a good session:
- Engage the group in discussion.
- Don't worry if people get up and leave, maybe they thought it was something else
- Promoting your business is OK, but useful information, or an interesting topic will get you farther. And of course, if you give out free stuff...
- Enjoy the rest of the day. Attend other sessions
Afterward, join us for the after party and have more fun!